BMC-84 Broker’s or Freight Forwarder’s Surety Bond

Who needs the BMC-84 bond?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires that all freight forwarders and freight brokers maintain a surety bond in the amount of $75,000.

What do I need before purchasing a BMC-84 bond?

Prior to purchasing your bond, you should:

1) Obtain a motor carrier number (MC number) from the FMCSA.

2) Complete the FMCSA application through the Unified Registration System

There are numerous other steps required to get registered, independent of your BMC-84 surety bond. Check with the FMCSA directly to make sure you understand all requirements.

How will my bond be filed?

Self Service Surety will take care of electronically filing your bond on your behalf.

General Questions
What is a surety bond? 
What is a surety bond?

A surety bond is a three-party agreement among a principal, an obligee, and a surety.

The bond formalizes the principal's obligation to the obligee. The surety guarantees that the principal will fulfill their obligation.